Chris Provenzano focuses on securities and financial litigation, and complex commercial litigation, both domestically and across borders. He has wide experience in litigation and counseling relating to problems and disputes faced by financial institutions and public corporations. His work has included not only straightforward Exchange Act and Securities Act litigation, but subject matters such as complex multi-party transactions, securitizations, real property disputes, project finance and investment disputes, trusteeship disputes, enforcement of guarantees, large bank customer disputes and dealing with insolvent counterparties (including bankruptcy litigation). Mr. Provenzano has also conducted internal investigations related to both securities and FCPA matters. He has extensive experience managing cross-border discovery challenges.
He has represented clients from all over the U.S. and the world, including Africa, Asia, South America, and many European countries.
Prior to joining Zuber Lawler & Del Duca, Mr. Provenzano practiced in the litigation departments of Mayer Brown LLP, and Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP.
- Investment Dispute Litigation: Lead trial counsel in $500 million dispute between Tanzanian investor, partner, contractor and lender. Admitted to High Court of Tanzania for trial.
- Securities Litigation: Counsel to two banks (one English, one U.S.) in over a dozen cases filed in state and federal courts throughout the United States arising from the sale of residential mortgage backed securities.
- Securities Litigation: Counsel to a major French pharmaceutical company in connection with a stock fraud class-action arising from the FDA’s rejection of its new drug application.
- ICC Arbitration: Counsel to a Brazilian satellite communications company in a dispute with a South American reseller of satellite capacity.
- ICC Arbitration: Counsel to a foreign SPV issuer of catastrophe bonds relating to a reinsurance transaction relating to Switzerland.
- AAA Arbitration: Represented a major Chinese sourcing company in dispute with a U.S. clothing manufacturer.
- JAMS Arbitration: Represented a Chinese hospitality company in dispute with law firm.
- Securities Litigation: Counsel to the former CFO of AIG in various securities class actions and derivative actions.
- Bankruptcy Litigation: Counsel to a franchisor in termination of bankrupt franchisee and recovery of assets, including intellectual property.
- Securities Litigation: Counsel to a CEO of a major pharmaceutical distributor in an audit committee and SEC investigation relating to accounting practices.
- Securities Litigation: Counsel to two large financial institutions in seeking to vacate large FINRA awards rendered against them.
- Securities Litigation: Internal investigation regarding allegations of improper accounting and reporting for a newly-public company that had received a complaint from a major customer.
- Bankruptcy Litigation: Represented CEO of family of companies now in insolvency against allegations of mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duty. Advised on personnel and other corporate actions. Advised and defended CEO in criminal investigation relating to 401(k) benefits allegedly not paid to employees.
- “Unfinished Business” Litigation: Represented law firm in proceedings arising from the Coudert Brothers insolvency relating to the “unfinished business” doctrine. Won major 7-0 decision in New York Court of Appeals declaring that that doctrine does not apply in New York.
- Gaming Litigation: Represented the Shinnecock Indian Nation in a three-week bench trial relating to the Nation’s proposed development of tribal land for a casino.
- Antitrust Litigation: Counsel to major national and international bus carrier in private civil antitrust litigation under the state Donnelly Act in Supreme Court. The complaint was dismissed, and the decision upheld by the Appellate Division. Counsel for same entity in state and federal antitrust investigation.
- Co-authored, The Role of Corporate Internal Investigations, Securities Investigations: Internal, Civil and Criminal, PLI (2011)
Columbia Law School
Honors: Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
University of California, Los Angeles
B.A., 1994, cum laude
Honors: Dean’s List
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals - Second Circuit
U.S. District Court – Southern District of NY
U.S. District Court - Eastern District of NY
U.S. District Court - District of Colorado