Laura J. Carroll
Laura Carroll focuses on environmental and commercial litigation and counseling. She litigates liability for contamination, defends against California Proposition 65 claims, and handles environmental white collar criminal defense. Her work spans Superfund, RCRA, environmental impact assessment and other permitting and regulatory frameworks, as well as banking work concerning environmental risks and “Safe Harbor” provisions.
Ms. Carroll has wide experience in counseling, including of corporate entities on environmental compliance, trusts and estates involving contaminated properties, companies on Business and Professional Code obligations, and financial institutions on lender liability. She drafts environmental provisions for leases and loan agreements, and advises on environmental aspects of bankruptcy matters.
Ms. Carroll has litigated multi-party toxic tort, medical product liability, and Federal False Claim/qui tam lawsuits. She has prosecuted actions under oil and gas lease law, and defended manufacturers in enforcement contexts.
Her experiences span US EPA, US Department of Justice and Army Corps of Engineers, California Department of Toxic Substances Control, California Regional Water Quality Control Boards, State Water Board, Air Quality Management Districts, and California Fish and Game, as well as the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office and various city attorneys, fire departments and other local governmental agencies.
Ms. Carroll is a member of the National Association of Professional Women and a past co-chair of the California State Bar Real Estate section. Formerly a professional cellist, she is a past president of the Board of Directors of Musica Angelica, a Los Angeles-based baroque orchestra.
- negotiations of cleanup levels and remediation goals, overseeing soil and groundwater cleanup for refineries, oil fields, manufacturing plants, gasoline stations and contaminated properties around the US.
- defended CEQA action for an oil company involving $400 million sale of government property.
- headed financial institution due diligence assessment of a $2 billion portfolio acquisition.
- defended oil and other energy companies, manufacturers, business entities, and individuals at federal and state Superfund sites around the US.
- prosecuted oil and other energy company actions to recover CERCLA and state equivalent remediation costs.
- defended brass manufacturers, store owners and others in Proposition 65 cases brought by private attorneys-general.
- prosecuted easement violation, involving habitat issues and California Department of Fish and Game.
- prosecuted action for oil terminal against a railroad for environmental damages at harbor terminal.
- worked with US EPA’s Inspector General concerning citizen group misbehavior in Proposition 65 lawsuit.
- defended industrial operator against criminal and civil actions brought by Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office.
- prosecuted environmental action against a large cemetery owner seeking punitive damages and recovery of prosecution fees under private attorney general theory.
- prosecuted Federal False Claims (qui tam) action concerning aerospace industry.
- defended pipeline operator against lawsuit concerning contamination at an 80-year-old tank farm.
- represented clients in multi-party lawsuits involving contaminated properties, including a case involving thousands of alleged defendants.
- defended white collar crime cases brought against owners of industrial operations.
- defended industrial clients in matters involving alleged air emission violations of lead and chromium.
- defended toxic shock syndrome product liability claims.
- recovered monies under old insurance policies for defense and indemnity claims involving contaminated properties.
- Selectee, Southern California Super Lawyers (2007-present)
- Selectee, voted by peers as Top 50 female lawyer, Southern California Super Lawyers (2010)
- Selectee, Woman of the Year, National Association of Professional Women (2013)
Professional Honors & Activities
UCLA School of Law
Ph.D. studies, 1976-1979
Miami University of Ohio
B.A., 1973, magna cum laude
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
California State Courts
U.S. District Court, Central District, CA
U.S. District Court, Eastern District, CA
U.S. District Court, Northern District, CA
District of Columbia Courts
All Hawaii State and Federal Courts
Past pro hac vice admittance in Montana State Court
Past pro hac vice admittance in Utah Federal District Court